Saturday, March 7, 2009

The MBA Generation

In college I studied business, but I never did very well. After graduation, I started twice to get my MBA, but dropped out both times.

The problem was that it just always seemed like bullshit to me. The only way to make money was by making something else that was valuable. This business of trying to get rich off the margins or skimming money off the system and mechanics of making things, in my heart I felt like that was wrong. I always felt like an outsider among people who were really excited about making a place for themselves in this scheme and felt like a traitor for not having the confidence in the system they had.

This was the beginning of what I call my derailment. I never knew my true path, only that I wasn't on it, and the more I tried, the more I failed. There were really important parts of my life that wanted me to go down that path, they thought it was best for me and best for everyone, but I could never make it happen because I never believed in it.

If you read the business news, it's pretty clear that all these structures the MBA generation built are now collapsing in on themselves. Many millions of people trusted them and now they're really suffering and wondering, what's to become of us.

It would be easy for me to gloat because I felt the wrongness of what we were doing long before my contemporaries, but I don't have it in me because I never came up with a viable alternative. These people didn't betray us, they were just wrong in their assumptions.

What I do know is this: America is the greatest creative force on the history of the planet. If we can rebuild ourselves based on that, based on building things of real value, then we should not only survive, but prosper again. We can't make it by skimming dollars out of the system or betting on the margins. Maybe you can for a while, but that philosophy is always doomed to fail in the end.

1 comment:

Mommy Cracked said...

This is good stufff. I'm on my little path of derailment myself with education (what I used to do for a living) and am left wondering what I REALLY want to do in life.

Staying to true to oneself and doing the right thing even when it's tempting to take the easy way out will always be the best option, I think.